I went hill training this morning in Greenwich Park. The contrast with the long slow runs I've been doing made it much more fun than I'd have anticipated. Easy jog across Blackheath past geese and swans standing to their knees in the swollen pond. They look at me lazy-wary in my green trousers (that incidentally I slept in and kept on for the run - more of which later).
I decided to go up and down the hill eight times - it is a pretty steep hill but not ridiculously so so you're bent double. Think its about 250m - takes about two mins...There were other guys training there with a long-haired coach - I have seen him before. At first I dont think they took me seriously as we passed each other going up and down the hill like some kind of demented childrens' game. The green Primark cotton trousers and top shop puff sleeve t-shirt didnt help - my running credentials. But we started to make eye contact after a few reps and eventually they bade me a 'well done' as I loped up the hill. I can really feel my arms working hard on hill running. There is a funny 'community of the fit' on hills like this in London - cyclists who power up on the hard shoulder and whizz down (resting) - twice as fast as the runners. Super runners who sprint up the crown of the hill, strong tough nuts with thick calves and plodders. I liked the labrador best - his tennis ball spinning past my feet as it picked up momentum followed by the hound himself who didnt care terribly much but got the ball anyway. The kids on bikes are sweet too - freewheeling away from the small parental figures jiggling after them....
anyway all in all a good little session. I like to feel the lactic acid squidging through my thighs and imagine the muscle like sponge with the strength soaking through...

Comments

Popular Posts